The Associated Press seeks a product manager for its sports product portfolio.
The individual will manage AP’s sports product portfolio, providing products and services to our Web, mobile, TV, newspaper and radio clients as well as technology and non-traditional media customers interested in all things sports-related. We are looking for a real sports subject matter expert capable of toggling between supporting services around traditional sports coverage and thriving in the constantly changing landscape of sports news production, delivery and consumption.
The product manager will oversee both short- and long-term product planning and development efforts for the sports products, including some of our consumer-ready services. Responsibilities include working in close partnership with internal and third-party/vendor news and technology colleagues in the delivery and production of AP’s current products and creation of new services. Working closely with our members and subscribers to understand how they use AP sports content and tracking competitor movements will be critical to success in this position.
The sports product manager will work with our marketing and sales teams to develop and implement marketing strategies, promotions and campaigns around sports seasons, playoffs and large-scale events like the Olympics, Super Bowl, World Cup and professional league playoffs, and our high school prep scores operation. This person must be capable of collaborating with sales to obtain feedback from representatives and customers to achieve success in this position.
The sports product manager will report to AP’s director of vertical products.
- Product management: Lead performance evaluation and improvement, as well as customer engagement, related to existing products and packages, including managing any changes/shifts in content sets and delivery methods
- Product development: Develop new products or re-imagine existing ones and associated business plans and product requirements to respond to market conditions and opportunities, factoring in scalability and agile development practices to leverage production costs
- Budget management: Lead monthly financial review and analysis of expenses and revenue, including any costs or revenue from vendors or partners
- Sales/Pricing support: Review and analyze all sales data, trends and price data/rate cards for all sports products
- Relationship management: Develop and manage key customer and thought leader relationships
- Vendors: Work with outside vendors where necessary, including managing revenue shares
- Promotion: Circulate and track effectiveness of all marketing materials for Olympics, Super Bowl, World Cup and professional league playoffs
Desired Skills and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, advanced degree(s) in marketing and/or business preferred
Minimum of three-to-five years of experience in sports-related, media planning, and/or content delivery management
- Self-motivated and able to work individually, in accordance with directions from the director of vertical products.
- Ability to collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team.
- Microsoft Office proficiency.
- Technical knowledge of web and mobile-based solutions.
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English language is required.
- Authorization to work in the US for any employer is mandatory.
For consideration, apply via the following URL: http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH09/ats/careers/requisition.jsp? org=AP&cws=1&rid=3774
The Associated Press is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: